Re: Fedora compatible Headset recommendations?

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 22:15:16 +0000,
  Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I threw out all the packaging after I determined that it
> works. They cost $39 and have builtin headphone and mic volume controls.
> There is also a USB adaptor, but I have not been able to get that to
> work with skype. In fact, I had to plug the mic plug directly into the
> mic jack at the rear of the computer to get the mic to work with skype.
> I also had to remove pulseaudio modules to be able to adjust the volume.
> With pulseaudio gone alsamixer seems to work well.

That helps. I am concerned that if I grab a USB model it may need propietary
drivers to use. It seems like they have some inexpensive models that
connect directly to a sound card and have cord lengths that will work.
The USB models would be a bit more flexible if they actually work.

I have pulseaudio working OK in rawhide. There was an issue with ALSA
volume controls still being relevant, but with no obvious way to access
them. I finally found a command line tool that let me set the volume
for ALSA to something reasonable and I can now control things in applications.
(Previously the output volume was too low with no way to raise it enough in
applications to hear clearly and boosting stuff in pulseaudio was producing a
lot of noise.)