Re: Suggestion - replace gdm with kdm as the default

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> 	OK, I'll try -- and if I can handle it, anyone can. Where is that
> default, and how do I change it??

I am not where in Fedora the login manager is set to the default so that an
install gives kdm - but if you want to switch from gdm after the install,
and use it then you can create a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and put into it
lines like the following:
DESKTOP="GNOME"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
The latter sets kdm to be the login manager.  If you restart X then first
time you try to login you need to select which desktop session type you want
- and then it becomes your default on that machine.

You can edit the config files ( in /etc/kde/kdm ) yourself but it is easier
to login to kde and then use the graphical settings system to change things.

I guess that if you are spinning an iso and wanted kdm to be the default
then you would have to alter a source file somewhere but I have not delved
into that.