Re: unlock utility for linux

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:49:02 +0000,
  Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some day someone will write a fast spreading virus that locks a lot of
> hard disks and the vendors will think harder about the problem although
> I'm still hoping that they'll think about it *before* something bad
> happens as some of the BIOS and firmware people have.

I think one reason end users don't care about their machine's security
is that they don't pay anywhere the full cost of what happens when their
machine is compromised. Getting their disk locked a few times and having
to pay someone just to get the hardware back without any data, would be
a good motivator to start caring.

With the malware business being the way it is now, I don't think it is
likely to happen any more. The people that can do this would lose a good
chunk of money in both the short and long run by doing that.