Re: Unconventional F10 installation

john wendel wrote:

I'd like to install F10 on a tiny box that has only a compact flash disk (ide interface) and a network interface. I tried cobbler, but it died with some strange python runtime error, so a network install is out (I'm too lazy to learn how to setup a PXE server).

Is it possible to do an install by running the installer as a regular program?

If I can't use the installer, can I move the CF disk to another F10 box and just copy the installation files. Is there any reason this won't work? After the files are copied, is there anything needed besides a grub install?

I would start by installing the livecd tools and treating the CF as if it were a USB stick. If you can tell your box to boot off it that should solve the problem. You *might* be able to just dd the netinstall CD to the CF, but that will write over the partition table and really mess it up, so the livecd tools are far better. All assuming you can boot off the CF at all.

Alternative: for about $10 newegg will sell you a box which holds a 2-1/2" laptop drive and plugs into USB. You can write the install on the disk and put it back in the box later. That works really well, although it's far less convenient than booting off the CF.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>