Re: KDE desktop effects + GPU temp

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 09:42:02AM -0400, Endy wrote:

> I'm running up to date F10 with KDE on a dell vostro 1400 with an nVidia
> 8400gs.  I'd really like to be able to use transparency (one of the
> desktop effects), but as soon as I enable desktop effects the GPU temp
> starts rising, getting up to close to 70C.  Seeing as how these nvidia
> chips are sensitive to heat and known to fail, I'd rather have a cooler
> GPU so I haven't been running with desktop effects.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get transparency and still have
> the gpu temp idle at a low temp (around 50C, where it is now)?

  *) Get some 'dustoff' and blow out the air vents.  After a while the crud that
	builds up can get in the way.
  *) If you work on your lap, pick up an inexpensive plastic kitchen cutting board to
	sit under your laptop so the air vents do not get obstructed.  You can add
	elevators to the cutting board too.   And if you find an inexpensive
	laptop board with fans give it a look.

  *) Call Dell support and make them aware write down the service
	ticket. Also a note to nVidea might be in order as the Dell
	solution makes nVidea products look bad.

  *) Keep your driver current....

I am not sure that 50C (122F) makes sense as a goal.  75C (167F) seems more
'normal' for an operating temperature measured on the chip itself.  Many
complex devices are designed to run in the 0-70C range with a junction
temp of 90C.  Since the sensor is on the chip itself it is possible you are
seeing something closer to a junction temp.  nVidea forums may know more..

Have you seen an error?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?