Re: "Clock" has quit unexpectedly REPOSTED

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:46:30AM -0400, Steve wrote:

> ---- "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 02:31:12PM +1100, L wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I posted this question days ago, got no answer, hope some one may offer a fix.
> > >
> > > Whenever I click on gnome clock icon (/usr/libexec/clock-applet), I
> > > always got this error
> > >
> > > "Clock" has quit unexpectedly
> > > If you reload a panel object, it will automatically be added back to the panel.
> > >
> > > Do not reload/Reload
> > >
> > > the system is
> > > Linux  2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 24 19:44:45 EST
> > > 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > gnome-panel-2.22.2-3.fc9.x86_64
> > >
> > > Not sure how or why? hope someone could offer a fix
> >
> > I'm not sure if this will help, but you can try removing or renaming
> > the directory ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/clock (which is user
> > customizations for the clock), and then reloading the applet.
> >
> > Otherwise, you could try attaching to it with gdb and generating a
> > backtrace when it crashes, and then file a bug.  I tried to reproduce
> > this on my F10 system but couldn't.
>
> I have the same issue and others do too. It was reported it here
> some time ago - about 2 months maybe but I don't remember the thread
> subject.
>
> Are you running evolution by any chance? IIRC the problem started
> for me when I tried to open the task manager from the window thgat
> drops down when you click on the clock so my suspicion is that this
> is an evolution problem.

Again, I'm on F10 and not F9 -- but I do have Evo installed.  I added
a task and an appointment to "On This Computer," made sure (using
gconf-editor) that the clock was set to display tasks and
appointments, and still can't reproduce the crash.  I don't doubt at
all that you're having this problem -- I just can't make it happen
here.

I'm no expert in debugging problems like these -- maybe the
#fedora-desktop channel on GIMPnet will help if you asked nicely
there?