Re: [SPAM]Re: 64bit or 32bit for my laptop

萌邱 wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM, David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> sorry for opening this neverending story again.
>>
>> I am about to reinstall Fedora 10 on my laptop.
>>
>> Asus F3Sr, ATI, 230GB disk 5400rpm, Intel Core Duo T5550 @1,83Ghz, 4GB DDR2
>> Ram
>>
>> I was using all the time only 32bit version here all the time (with
>> kernel-pae).
>> My question is , should I go with 64bit? Will this sacrifice me ;)?
>>
>> What I am using NB for?
>>
>> Pyton, PHP, XML , XHTML development in Netbeans. I am using apache, for
>> that.
>> Virtualization with VMware Workstation (For Windows XP).
>>
>> Thanks, and best regards,
>>
>> David
>> --
>>

> Poor you, poor me(I had the same trouble, for my crossfire), and poor us.
>
> Just ONLY for your ATI card, the 32bit version is better.
> The driver for ATI, especially for Linux 64bit, is very poor!
>
> I will not buy a NB with ATI card in the next few years.

I disagree completely.  The Open Source radeon driver is awesome for
64-bit.  It works great is rock solid and I don't have any trouble with
it at all.

In fact, the latest ATI (Proprietary) drivers are not that bad either,
but since I don't need 3D for anything on this system I haven't setup
that driver.

For the record, I've had nothing but crap experiences with NVidia's
cards in linux (and windows) and will not buy another NVidia card.  So
it's all a matter of personal preference.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support