Re: Looking for input on yum metadata_expire option

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Hi

For those who didn't know, metadata_expire value in yum.conf can control how much time yum will rely on the existing metadata before trying to refresh it. f you want the behaviour to be similar to apt, then you can set it to never as well. The default value is 6 hours now.

I had a recent discussion with Seth Vidal, the primary developer of yum about increasing it to a day instead of 6 hours. We are now looking for input from you, the Fedora users on what value would be appropriate. If you have fiddled around with this setting, let me know what you think. If you haven't try it out and I would appreciate your feedback as well.

I set it to 1800 i.e. 30 minutes. I do that because I prefer to run yum
myself rather than use the various PackageConf daemons.

I am not sure what you mean by PackgeConf daemons. This setting only controls how often the metadata is refreshed when you run yum directly.

Rahul