Re: Evolution throwing away emails for one of my accounts ?

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 09:37 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> The account in question is a gmail account.  I logged into gmail
> directly and checked and there are over a dozen emails sitting in the
> account that haven't shown up in Evolution. I don't have delete once
> downloaded selected in Evolution, so the emails stay in the gmail
> account even after they are downloaded.

Hmm, that can get messy if servers do something unpredictable.

e.g. It's expected that each message has a unique number.  The mail
client knows that if it's fetched message X, then it doesn't need to
fetch it again.  If a server gives a new message the same number as one
the client has already fetched, the client thinks its the old message
that it's fetched, so it doesn't fetch this one.

And there's other gotchas:  Clients not downloading what it thinks are
"read" messages, where the flagging of "read" has been inappropriately
associated with a message.

Broken messages jamming up the server.

There's a rather lengthy list of things that go wrong when you try
leaving messages on servers, particularly when using protocols not
really designed for that sort of thing (like POP3).

I got thoroughly sick of having to deal with other people's mail servers
(my ISPs, and other mail service providers).  Now I run my own, which
fetches and deletes all mail from remote services, and my local mail
server holds everything.  Local clients use IMAP to access it.  Local
clients store nothing.  What's been read on one box can easily be
accessed from another box.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686