Re: setting X server DPI

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 11:44 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> 96x96 should be the default. I don't know why it isn't.

No.  The DPI should be set to the values that actually represent the
hardware.

Font sizing, and the like, should be set by picking the font size you
want, not buggering up the DPI.  Set that wrong, and you make it
impossible for other things to do their job right.  Graphics card pixel
counts are the number of dots per scan line that you have available to
draw something with (definition).  Visual display device DPI is the
tiniest noticeable detail that can be resolved.  The two are
interrelated, but people often get one thing wrong - with CRTs it's
still quite good to draw to the display with more detail than it can
display, you get smoother detail.  For LCDs, you really need 1:1
configuration between graphics card and display device.

GUI sizing, an important and often overlooked thing, should be set as
an independent value.  That used to be easily done on window managers
that I've seen in the past.  Tiny buttons are a major pain, and so is
the converse - absurdly huge buttons wasting space on low resolution
displays.

Anyone who thinks that increasing the resolution *should* create smaller
fonts, or GUI gadgets, has got it extremely wrong.  And that includes
all the programmers who stupidly do that.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.