Re: LAN addresses in IPv6

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Here is an example of an IPv6 addr:

ifconfig eth1
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1B:77:43:09:78
inet addr:208.83.67.155 Bcast:208.83.67.159 Mask:255.255.255.248
inet6 addr: 2607:f4b8:3:1:21b:77ff:fe43:978/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::21b:77ff:fe43:978/64 Scope:Link

Thanks very much for your response,
which has added greatly to my enlightenment.

Unfortunately, I only have Scope:Link entries on my machines.
I don't see any mention of Scope:Global even on my server.

With no global address, there is no way out.

I have real IPv6 connectivity through my ISP Clearrate that gets its allocation from Verizon. I have a /48 allocation.

Does sixxs.net give you a prefix allocation and you run RADVD yourself or do you get the router advertisements through the tunnel? The key is to look for Scope:Global.

The information I got from sixxs was:
-------
  Tunnel Id          : T20165
  PoP Name           : iedub01 (ie.heanet [AS1213])
  Your Location      : Dun Laoghaire, ie
  SixXS IPv6         : 2001:770:100:134::1/64
  Your IPv6          : 2001:770:100:134::2/64
  SixXS IPv4         : 193.1.31.74
  Tunnel Type        : Static (Proto-41)
  Your IPv4          : 86.43.71.228
-------
On starting aiccu I got the message
-------
Starting AICCU (Automatic IPv6 Connectivity Configuration Utility) services: Tunnel Information for T20165:
POP Id      : iedub01
IPv6 Local  : 2001:770:100:134::2/64
IPv6 Remote : 2001:770:100:134::1/64
Tunnel Type : 6in4-static
Adminstate  : enabled
Userstate   : enabled
-------

What is the interface name for the tunnel? Do an ifconfig on it. It should show 2001:770:100:134::2 as the global scope addr. And you should be able to ping6 -n the ::1 address, and if so, ping6 -n ipv6.google.com.

However, there is no information from sixxes.net on a prefix allocation, so no radvd for you. There are other methods, but check with them on how they recommend you configure for internal IPv6 hosts.

it seems I have to wait until shorewall6 comes along for Centos,
which apparently needs a more recent kernel and iptables
than currently running under Centos, according to
<http://www.shorewall.net/IPv6Support.html>.

Hold your breath. I am working with some FC9 and FC10 boxes to work with shorewall6. My plan is to work out the resulting IP6tables and copy those to Centos boxes. At least those rules that should work with the Centos kernel.

Please let us (particularly me!) know of any progress along this line.

As will be apparent, I am more or less completely at sea with IPv6 -
I'm stumbling in the dark.
Basically, I would like a very simple document
(preferably not starting with 10 pages on the history of IPv6,
and a lecture on the size of 2^128)
which explains eg the roles of aiccu and radvd in terms of a home network
with a fixed IPv4 address,
and what is meant by Scope:Link and Scope:Global, etc.

I lived IPng back in the '90s. I walked away from it for quite a while, and it has morphed and grown. Things are far from easy until we get true IPv6 (I am fortunate, Verizon is rolling out their IPv6 plan, and my ISP got on the early adoption effort), as well as routers that naturally work with IPv6. We are a year off from that for other than the medium to big companies...