removing autorun from a flash drive

When I plugged in my first memory stick,
F9 told me two new devices had been plugged in:
TravelDrive and "U3 System Files".
The latter has an autorun.inf file on it.
I'm told that that is so when one plugs it into a Windows box,
it will do things to you.
I don't want it to do things to me.
I just want a flash drive that I can safely use to
transfer files between a linux box and a Windows box.
I don't want to be screwed or even wonder what happened
because I forgot to hold down the shift key long enough.

How do I get rid of autorun.inf or better yet, the partition it's on?
Why, when I do a mount -l, does the partition not show up?
Dolphin can find it.
TravelDrive shows up.
Some of the googling I've done suggests that there is no
way to get rid of autorun.inf without destroying the drive.

If I need a different drive, how, if at all,
do I recognize one without an autorun.inf?

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.