Re: F10 Rescue

Robert Karge schrieb:

Hi Robert!

> How do I edit fstab from rescue mode when the info in fstab no longer
> matches the mountable resources.

Depends on what you mean by "rescue mode".
Generally speaking you have at lest two possibilities:

1. Boot from the installation media and use the "rescue" kernel boot option.

2. Append "single selinux=0" to your kernel configuration line in the
GRUB boot menu. The option "single" will boot into a single user mode,
without any services, while "selinux=0" will deactivate SElinux
extensions. The system will probably still complain about bad/missing
partitions, but it should offer you a rescue console. Since the root
partition is mounted read only you have to remount the root partition
read/write by typing "mount -o remount,rw /". Then you can edit your
/etc/fstab with vi or any other available editor. After a reboot,
everything should be fine.

> If there is some magic tool I need what is it? Rescue mode will not
> recognize my root login because selinux is
> preventing it. Probably should be able to shut selinux down from the
> rescue mode also.

The is no need for magic, the built-in and installed tools should be
enough. It is their usage which needs some expertise (no offence intended).

> 2. Why should boot fail because a mountable resource is no longer
> available, just error msg and skip it and get on with it?

Because you asked it to do so. Or let's say: it is configured to do so.
The last column in /etc/fstab tells the system whether or not to run a
periodic check on a partition - read the tune2fs and fstab man-pages for
more information. A "0" means no check at all, "1" means exclusive
periodic check (typically used only for the root partition), "2" means
parallelised checks are allowed.

> Thanks for the help as I'm quite frustrated.

Do not give in. You can learn a lot from this problems - at least how to
avoid them in the future.

--
bye
Adalbert