Re: blinking is evil

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:38:35AM -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> After updating to Fedora 9, I used vi on an old mailbox.
> Most of the header lines were blinking at me.
> What's going on?
> How do I make it stop?
> If I find the inventor of blinking text,
> how slowly should I kill him?

You have to go back to before the invention of the VT-100 terminal
to discover the inventor of blinking text.

I think the issue is the alias for vi
$ alias vi
alias vi='vim'
$ su -
# alias vi
-bash: alias: vi: not found
# which vi
/bin/vi

Vim is a smarter version of vi and has syntax driven
display atributes.  It will color text as per the terminfo
file and your preferences.

Since I do not see blinking look at the terminal window you
have and tell us which one you are using i.e.  help --> about

It may be as simple as using "Terminal" in contrast to "Gnome Terminal"...
Or better yet use gvim and click Syntax-->Off;  in vim you should be
able to ":syn off" as well.

See my first google hit:
  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/disable-syntax-highlighting-in-vim/
and also the obvious vim home site stuff:
  http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/syntax.html

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?