Re: Booting a gazillion linuxes?

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:46:38 -0500
Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:24:45 +0000
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason you want to chainload them (except for Windows of
> > course)?
>
> I don't care about chainloading so much, but I want them all to
> have independently owned and operated /boot partitions so I don't
> have to fool with manually fiddling with the entries in a shared
> /boot partition after updates and wot-not.
>
> >From what I'm reading I can't have a /boot partition in an LVM,
> so I can't have enough "real" boot partitions to pair with my
> LVM roots (you can put a lot of roots on a 500GB drive :-).
>
> I'd be happy to be mistaken about all that though.

Tom:
You've set your goals way too low. Here's a guy who has (or had) 145
different operating systems (some DOS, some Windows, Solaris, BSD and
lots of Linuxes) on one PC:
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147959
(Warning: This links to a topic that is a goes on for 132 posts
over two years. And, no, I haven't read them all.)

 -- cmg