Re: [OT] Free download of Linux Fromat for 24 hours

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 15:05, Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:42:29PM +0000, Steve Searle wrote:
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/linux-format-free-download-24-hours-only

I havn't seen a Linux Format mag since I moved to France in Sept 2004. No money for the sub.

Seeing the link above, I thought, "that's worth going for". Clicked on the hi res download, only to find it was torrent, which I've never used before.

I had to go and collect bread, and other stuff on my bike at the local town, so sometime later, and back at the ranch, I fire up F10, which I know has Ktorrent on it. Click on "Help" in K torrent, but no help files. Doh! . I'm sort of used to this with KDE, although I use it all the time, but is annoying when you want to try a new app, but there is no info on how to use it.

Anyway, that aside, I see another app in KDE's Internet menu "Transmission". That may be a Gnome app, but at least it's got info on how to use it. I'm on dialup, but I drag the .torrent file into transmissions main window, and get the torrent downloading the file. I don't think there is a hope in hell of it running to completion before Linux Format remove the link, which is a shame, as it would have been nice to read a Linux Format mag again.

How do these torrent downloads work, for instance with this PDF download? Say for example If I get 90% of it downloaded, before I lose the torrent link. Am I likely to be able to open the PDF, and view some of the pages, or am I going to have all the pages, but bits and pieces missing from each of them?

I suppose whichever way this goes, I've learned a bit about torrent, and the next time I need to use it I'll be a bit more clued up.

Nigel.

no matter if lxf remove their seeding server myself (and i'm sure many others) will keep seeding it for a while which should allow you to finish your download :)

phil