Re: Something Broke My Grub

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 19:20:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

An hour ago I had a fully functioning machine. Now I just get the word
"GRUB" in the top left of the screen. Something has gone wrong in the
last hour or so.

Has happened to many people before:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/450143
Here's what I did.

You installed a "kernel" update, which runs /sbin/new-kernel-pkg
which in turn reinstalls GRUB via grubby. The kernel package is
not the culprit, however. Something at run-time has changed your
system environment in a way that confused the GRUB installation.
How exactly remains to be found out.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? And, more importantly, does
anyone have any suggestions of ways to fix it?

You need to reinstall GRUB just once more. Use rescue mode,
for example. I think above bz ticket gives hints.

Just to chime in, That advice is great 99% of the time, if that doesn't work, try SuberGrubDisk to rescue grub. A similar thing happened to me a while ago and I tried that a few times, but still had issues. I don't think you will need to do this, since my problem was impacted more by the change to the pata driver setup (my pata drives went from hd* to sd* and borked my systems a little) but it is a good tool to have for that rare just in case that the rescue mode doesn't work.

~Seann