mysql vs gene, score 1-0

Greetings;

What was done to mysql between F8 and F10?

My passwords are all null and void after the update.  Not even mythtv can
login, but about 10 instances of mysqld are running.

The password reset instructions on the
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-unix>

fail repeatedly with this message:
#> mysqld_safe --init-file=/root/mysql/mysql-reset-root-pw
nohup: ignoring input and redirecting stderr to stdout
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
090303 00:28:10  mysqld ended

And the init-file:
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('me') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I was, since there wasn't anything precious in the database, going to remove
it and re-install, but the removal would have removed all of kde too.  That
is not very nice.

Instructions please?

Thanks

--