Re: Laptop: Hard drive wakes up every 5-10 seconds

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 21:39 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Every 5 to 10 seconds I see the HDD light flash and sometimes I hear a
> very faint "beeping" like the drive is waking up or powering off,
> whichever it is doing.

Is it doing it all the time, or just now?  There could be a CRON job
running makewhatis on the drive, or something similar.

I had to turn off power saving features on my laptop hard drive, because
it was doing something similar (which WOULD wear the drive out a lot
quicker than normal), but I don't think the period was as short as that.

In the past, going back as far as Fedora Core 4, I found that CUPS was
doing that every-few-seconds drive tick, though I wasn't sure what it
was doing at that time - I saw nothing logged about what it was doing.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.15-78.2.23.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.