Re: pidgin startup data

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 16:01 -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I suspect that you are referring to panels (top and bottom) but not
> > status/system trays which in KDE is a separate widget. I don't know
> > about GNOME because I never use it but it probably is an optional item
> > in a panel.
>
> There is an area on the lower gnome panel that icons for unmapped (in
> the X sense) programs tend to show up in.  All the programs other than
> pidgin were indeed there.
>
> It did turn out to be a problem with the state stored in ~/.purple .
> Moving that directory aside caused pidgin to appear onscreen again the
> next time I started it.
----
I would suggest that you pay attention to it because when you launch
pidgin, it not only opens a window but also opens a status tray icon
(circle with green stripe). Pidgin allows you to close the window but
even if you quit the program and restart it, it remembers the last
setting which could very well mean, no window.

Even worse, it's multi-launch meaning that many instances of pidgin can
run at the same time, all without windows - I have seen a user do that
and become terribly confused.

Craig