Re: F10 custom install

john wendel wrote:
Phil Meyer wrote:
john wendel wrote:
Clueless here,

I've got an F10 install running well, and I'd like to move the system to a flash disk. This flash will become the boot device for a small system I'm building. Can I just use "cp" and end up with a workable system? I know that I need to do a grub install. Anything else?

I'd appreciate any clues about what I need to tweak on the resulting flash to get it booting/running.

Thanks,

Clueless ( John )

You might consider using livecd-creator to create a live custom image, and then using livecd-iso-to-disk to create your bootable flash drive.

I have done this about 100 times at work, and it works well. When you use livecd-iso-to-disk you can add overlays for both system and home that will allow dynamic changes.

Another thing: you might create links to /var/lib/pgsql, /var/lib/mysql, /var/log, etc etc, during the postinstall of the kickstart used for livecd-creator.

That way, you can have a separate partition on the flash drive for data, rather than putting data in an overlay.

Good Luck!

This looks like a nice solution for most people. I guess I should have mentioned that the system I'm installing isn't "rpm package" based anymore; I've removed (as in "rm <file>") all the stuff I won't be using for the few applications the target box will run. Everything now fits in a 512 MB flash with room to spare.

Thanks for the reply.

John

By using the livecd-tools, your target drive will be built with a squashfs image. Your 512MB limit could conceivably contain an actual 1.5GB of data.

Also, using kickstart to build the image, you can eliminate packages you don't need or want. You could even rm files if you wanted to in the postinstall.

The best part is, by using a kickstart to get it perfect, it can be replicated, such as for a new release.

Good Luck!