Re: grub

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Patrick Dupre wrote:
Hi Mikkel,

I am not sure about what you said.
Even not saying root (), grub should find the image if device.map is
correct ?
Anyway, I tried what you said by setting root (hd1,4), but stil it does
only find the image on hd0,7 !!

What I am saying is that the root directive must point to where the
kernel and initrd are on the disk. Do you have the
vmlinuz-2.6.23.17-88.fc7 kernel in the /boot directory on /dev/sdb5?

I have the same /boot directory on both disks

this is the fstab

/dev/sdb5               /               ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys            sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdb6               /usr            ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb10              /tmp            ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb11              /home           ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb9               /usr/src        ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb7               /usr/lib        ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb8               /usr/local      ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb12              /iso-image      ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb1               swap            swap    defaults        0 0

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy             msdos,auto      noauto,owner

/dev/sda6       /mnt/winnt-home         ntfs    umask=0222 0 0

It might help if you post /etc/fstab of the new F7 install. You may
have a separate /boot partition, and that will change things. In any
case, when you update the kernel on either F7 install, you are going
to have an interesting time booting until you update then kernel on
the other one.

There are other ways to manage this, but lets take things one step
at a time and get what you are trying here working, and you
understanding what is going on.

One other point - you should really upgrade to a newer version - F9
or F10. F7 has not been supported for 6 months, and F8 is also
unsupported now.

I will make the update, as soon as I will have understand what is going on.

Ths grub version in FC10 is almost the same as in FC7

Mikkel

--
---