Re: F10. Synaptic unable to install dl'd packages. Anyone confirm this?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 23:26, Kam Leo wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Nigel Henry
>>
>> <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Synaptic still hasn't been fixed on F9. It will download the packages ok,
>> > but complains of MD5 sum missmatches, and is unable to install the
>> > packages, although subsequently doing an apt-get install for the
>> > packages, will install the already downloaded packages.
>> >
>> > The same problem appears to exist on F10's synaptic, although now there
>> > is no warning message about MD5 sum missmatches.
>> >
>> > Before I file a bug report, could anyone who uses apt, and synaptic
>> > confirm that on F10, synaptic is unable to install packages that it has
>> > downloaded.
>> >
>> > Probably not many apt users on the list, but worth a try.
>> >
>> > Nigel.
>>
>> What do you mean "still has not been fixed"? Did you submit a bug
>> report and the bug was/is not fixed or did you mean you have a problem
>> with the operation of Synaptic on your system?
>>
>> FYI, I just ran Synaptic on my F9 system. Downloaded and installed 24
>> updates. No problem encountered.
>
> Well Synaptic is unable to install downloaded packages, both on F9, and F10 on
> my machine. I have posted a bug report for the synaptic problem on F9, but as
> I've just said, I havn't posted a bug report for synaptic on F10, as I wanted
> to get some confirmation of the problem first.
>
> And for your information, I've been using apt, and synaptic since Fedora Core
> 1, with no problems. Apt has had no problems on F9, apart from a little
> glitch (updates I think), but synaptic since F9 has been able to download
> packages, but not able to install them (MD5 missmatch problems). Synaptic can
> remove packages with no problem. there just appears to be a problem with
> installing them, at least for me, and some others that also filed a bug
> report against synaptic on F9.
>
> I'll find the bug report, and post the link.
>
> If synaptic is working ok for you on F9, this is a really weird problem that I
> have on both my F9, and F10 installs.
>
> Nigel.

Nigel, have I got egg on my face!  When I posted my reply the update
was progressing smoothly. Unfortunately I got distracted and did not
notice that the status window was still open but had become hidden
behind another application.  Synaptic is broken on F9.

My apologies for the screw-up.

By the way, apt and synaptic were not installed on my installation of
F10 because few fedora 3-rd party repositories seem to be supporting
apt . I just installed both applications, fired up synaptic, and
synaptic crashed whle performing the gpg check.

--Kam