How to kill qemu without losing (paused) VM?

I admit I may be missing something obvious, I'm new to this VM malarkey. On my F10 running the VM manager (which I'd earlier failed to get working but I think burst into life when I manually loaded the qemu kmdl):

I can pause the VMs OK, an come back to them later, but the qemu process is still running, taking up RAM and seemingly eating a little CPU.

Is it not possible to somehow shut the qemu process down on a paused VM for later restart? 'Disconnecting' seemed to only apply to the VM manager, and still left the qemus running.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature