Re: Web cam recommendations?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/23/09, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thomas Cameron wrote:
> >
> > Howdy -
> >
> > I travel a pretty fair amount - over 115 nights in hotels in 2008.
> >
> > I use Skype on Linux (both Fedora and RHEL) and I would love to be able
> > to use the web cam feature so I can see my kids before they go to bed.
> >
> > Anyone got a known good web cam for this?  I've never owned a web cam so
> > this is completely new territory for me.

Be aware that even in the case that the webcam is supported, Skype for
Linux is not well supported. In my case, Logitech QuickCam for
Notebooks works perfectly with Fedora 9, but with Skype when I try to
activate the webcam, the program aborts without any hints about the
problem.

Skype does not support v4l2.

Maybe if you install  libv4l-0.5.8-1.fc10.i386 (it has to be the 32 bit version)

and run (using a bash shell)

# to have a v4l interface on v4l2 devices
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /opt/skype

it will work. That is what I do with my A4tech PK-935.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ