Re: Linux users want better desktop performance (Screw data. Prioritize code)

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that
>
> What is you comment?

Do not blame the operating system for badly coded apps. Only the app
knows if caching is a good idea.

Exerpt from "man -s 2 open"
O_DIRECT (Since Linux 2.4.10)
              Try  to  minimize cache effects of the I/O to and from
this file.  In general this will degrade perfor-
              mance, but it is useful in special situations, such as
when applications do their  own  caching.   File
              I/O is done directly to/from user space buffers.  The
I/O is synchronous, that is, at the completion of
              a read(2) or write(2), data is guaranteed to have been
transferred.  See NOTES below for  further  dis-
              cussion.