Problem with keyboard layout in kvm virtual machine

This weekend I have successfully installed kvm and qemu, and Win XP is running in a virtual machine. A problem remains: Win XP installs with German locale (the default, as I used a German installation cd), but a strange keyboard layout results - some kind of qwertyu, it is not the US one which I know.

In KDE (system settings - regional and language) I have set the "DE" keyboard layout as well. Whenever I switch to "US" there, I immediatedly get the correct layout in the Windows guest, and switching to "DE" again in KDE brings back the strange layout in Win XP.

Any pointers to what may be configured wrong are welcome.
Klaus