Re: Partition XP disk to add F-10 -

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 12:20 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aldo Foot wrote:
If you've already installed XP, use Gparted from the Live CD to resize
the XP partition and make space for the F10 install.

~af
The installer acts like it is going to re-size the Windows partition
if I just click on "Write changes to disk?"  I just got to that point
when I received your message.

I'm tempted to let it do it!

Bob
The action "Write changes to disk?" is not resizing the partition. It's
either going to take all of it or use available remaining disk space.
I may be wrong, but I think there's an option to install Fedora on the
remaining free space of the disk (with Win already installed).

If you don't mind spending another hour installing Win... let it go.
If you don't want to take chances, get the Live CD and it will be easier.
----
No Aldo - resizing ntfs, ext2 or ext3 partition is indeed an
installation option. It's in the installation guide...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-disk-druid.html

and it works, I know because I have used it.

Crai

It appears to have worked except that I got the proportions backward and gave the smaller partition to Linux! But I can boot either F-10 or Windows. But that worked without a hitch otherwise. Next I will install another hard drive it appears equipped for both SATA and PATA so I can use a 250 gig PATA drive I have in addition to the 40 g SATA.

Then to instal XFCE and embark on the configuration effort, that's usually good for a week of spare time.

Thank you both for your help.

Bob