Re: firmware loading after bootup, possible?

On Thursday 19 February 2009, suvayu ali wrote:
>2009/2/18 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> There are 2 files in the /lib/firmware directory for this card which I
>> assume put it in the digital mode for the correct signal std:
>>
>> dvb-fe-or51132-qam.fw, not of use unless I feed it a cable signal.
>> dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw, which seems to be the correct one.
>
><...snip...>
>
>> So in my quest to shoot some trouble, I am wondering if there is a way to
>> force the reloading of this firmware into this card short of a powerdown
>> reboot, which I consider playing russian roulette with hard drive life?
>
>I don't know about your situation but I use a USB wifi receiver, and
>for it to work I had to use a similar firmware. And this is what I
>did.
>
>1. I put the firmware in /lib/firmware/
>2. in /lib/modules/2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64/build/ ran "make
>menuconfig" as root, enabled the relevant kernel module. then did a
>"modprobe <driver>"
>
>and I was up and running. :) Hope this helps. (btw I got the firmware
>from kernel.org, maybe you can look there for an updated version? )

I have already been building the driver as a module since about 2003 or so
when I bought the card.  So that isn't a problem.

This firmware comes from the pcHDTV-3000 web site, in a tar.gz, that the web
page says to put in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.  But on this F8 install, there
is not such a path, so I put it in /lib/firmware, and it seems to be found ok
according to dmesg.  But I just pulled that tar.gz again and found a third
file in it, I assume for NTSC service maybe as it isn't labeled with the
signal std as part of its name.  So I added that, but amanda is running, so
I'll wait and test it in the morning when I can reboot without torpedoing the
backup.

I was just hoping I could reload it 'insitu'.  :)

Thanks, Suvayu

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)