Re: What's on my system...

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:14:48 +0100
DB wrote:

>>> snip

> Since I want to migrate toward FC10, I'd like to find me a list of
> the things which I use, so as to have a more targeted installation,
> without all the bells, whistles, pots & pans that "someone" has
> decided I ought to have (and not to forget one of those essential "it
> only works if....."  thingies).  It'd also be "very nice" if it were
> possible to "reverse engineer" the installations I've made so as to
> produce my own installation script.  And... how can I tell if a
> package is "mission critical" to the life of Fedora??

>>> snip again

> Dave in freezing Austria (currently -5C)

Dave:
One way to achieve a slimmer Fedora installation is to start with
one of the Fedora Live CDs (http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora for
Gnome;  http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-kde for KDE) or
perhaps one of the special spins (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/).

In return for your effort, you'll get a fully functional desktop
installation which you can yum to suit your tastes. I'm writing this
from the xfce F10 spin, and the KDE 4.2 F10 spin is installed on another
partition; both work very well.

Now, if you are really ambitious, you can always develop your own spin
following the instructions here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
(NB: I've never tried this.)

-- cmg (a bit less than 8 km NNE of RedHat and it's +6C outside)