Re: conflicts in kde updates

charles zeitler wrote:
> i didn't know that 'transaction depencies' do not parallel 'package
> dependencies' !

Unfortunately, file conflicts can only be detected during transactions or
test transactions, not when the dependencies are resolved. We would have to
add explicit versioned Conflicts: tags for yum to understand what versions
conflict with each other, but that would quickly become unmaintainable and
often we aren't even aware of every such file conflict. So the only advice
I can give is: if you run into file conflicts between some old and some new
package, upgrade the other package as well.

The best solution is to just apply all the updates, as the old Red Hat Linux
errata used to recommend:
> Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
> relevant to your system have been applied.

        Kevin Kofler