Re: kde 4.2 pulse eradicate

Craig White wrote:
On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 15:04 -0500, JohnMinson wrote:
Well lets try and not eradicate it .
So currently I have all of pulse installed (as best I can tell) . I removed all of kde and pulse , my '.kde' directory and all the '.pulse' files / directories in my home directory . Then reinstalled kde and pulse with all updates . After re-installing pulse I also followed the hints at 'http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206868&highlight=pulse'
So the current problem is

amarok2 works fine

system 'boings' at start up.

nothing else works sound wise .

In the 'System Settings' -> 'Computer Administration' -> 'Multimedia' I noticed that when I 'test' the 'PulseAudio' entry I get nothing . Currently the top preference on this menu is the digital coax out(IEC 958) interface on my sound card . The reason for doing this is to try and stop the following from spewing into the log file

Feb 15 14:13:34 localhost pulseaudio[3236]: module-alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write! Most likely this is an ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue to the PulseAudio developers.

If I try mplayer with no options it seems to connect to 'pulse'
   AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
And this also causes log file spewing so its trying to work but no sound

If I try mplayer with -ao alsa it seems to connect to alsa
   AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
There is no log file spewing but no sound either

Firefox -> youtube no sound
kmplayer (xine) no sound

any suggestions would be appreciated .
----
sounds to me as if you need to use Kmix and go into the mixer and make
sure that you turn up PCM mixer to near maximum

Craig

all outputs maxed out,nothing muted (that I can find)

the digital SPDIF output doesn't seem to care anyway

AMAROK2 works fine

nothing else works sound wise