Re: is a vfs limit?

On Wednesday, Feb 11th 2009 at 13:14 -0000, quoth Sharpe, Sam J:

=>2009/2/11 iarly selbir <iarlyy@xxxxxxxxx>:
=>> can anyone tell me what mean this messages?
=>>
=>> Feb 11 14:08:02 ski0s kernel: VFS: file-max limit 204674 reached
=>
=>You've probably hit the maximum number of open files.
=>
=>[sjs298@cc-6910p ~]$ sysctl fs.file-max
=>fs.file-max = 202566
=>
=>[sjs298@cc-6910p ~]$ sudo sysctl -w fs.file-max=1000000
=>fs.file-max = 1000000
=>
=>[sjs298@cc-6910p ~]$ sysctl fs.file-max
=>fs.file-max = 1000000
=>
=>To make the changes permanent, you need to add a line to /etc/sysctl.conf:
=>fs.file-max = <a number>
=>
=>Shells also have a maximum number of open files which may need to be
=>adjusted in /etc/security/limits.conf, but I don't think you are
=>hitting that because the message wouldn't come from the kernel.

Sorry, but I don't believe that is correct. VFS has no knowledge of the
number of open files on the system. I think it's trying to tell you that
you have run out of either the maximum number of files allowe3d in the
filesystem or the maximum number of blocks allowed by a single file in
the filesystem.

I don't know what kind of filesystem you're running and I don't know why
the complaint is coming from VFS so I can't really help you, other than to
say that (for example) ext[23] allows you to specify the number of
files/inodes/etc in a filesystem. I also don't remember if you can change
any of it after the filesystem is populated.

FYI, VFS == Virtual File System. It's the dohicky that allows things like
open, close, read, write and ls(1) to all present you with a unified view
of your filesystem, regardless of whether you're running ext2, ext3,
reiser, jfs, xfs, or whatever flavor you have that day, or whatever
combination of filesystems you're running.

steveo at syslang.net