Re: Advice on changing to 64 bits

2009/2/14 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 08:55 -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> [...]
>
>> There
>> were some issues with Adobe Flash and Sun's Java plugins, but both are
>> now available as full 64-bit plugins for Firefox. I'm not sure of the
>> architecture of future filesystems, but possibly some drivers in the
>> future will be 64-bit only).
>
> Currently the Firefox add-on 'Weave' is 32-bit only so you'll need to
> use 32-bit FF if you really want it. Otherwise, go for it.
>
> poc
>
> --

Is it just virtualisation that you want to use? in this case go with
64 bit but in the other cases there's no urgetnt need to switch to 64.
It is supposed to be faster than 32 bit but as a human you'll barely
see any difference if at all. Your system will consume more ram with
64 bit but this shouldn't be a problem. Some verndor still don't want
to build 64 bit versions of their apps (like Skype or Acrobat) but
there are good alternatives to these.

As an ordinary consumer I'll recomend to stay with 32 bit version. 64
is the future and ultemately everyone will switch to it. but at the
moment all apps have 32 bit versions and not all are ported to 64 bit.
At least no all written for linux. If you use wine you'd better stay
with 32 bit.

If you want to reinstall everything just to see your mashine faster
with 0.025 sec than do it. But there is nothing (as an ordinary linux
user) you can do with 64 that you can't do with 32 bit. It's still not
necessary to make the switch but it's up you.