Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Based on the dates of the release directories, fedora
releases seem to average 2 per year:

Index of /fedora/releases

Name                    Last modified      Size
Parent Directory - 7/ 14-Jun-2007 20:09 - 8/ 03-Nov-2007 01:11 - 9/ 08-May-2008 22:45 - 10/ 20-Nov-2008 18:37 - test/ 02-Feb-2009 21:22 - I understand Mike Chalmers frustration with the release frequency. No one is actually forced to re-install a new release. The support cycle for each release extends to about 18 months. I am however in agreement with Mike's basic proposal: that given ANY fedora installation, there should be an easy and seemless way to continually update all the packages, and the kernel without having to re-install. I think this is the general weakness of all linux distros. While many will issue numerous reasons why this is not possible, due to the domino effect of dependencies, I think that the manner of how the dependencies are set up needs to be altered so that none of the packages (including the kernel) have any OS release version in the dependency (such as foo-1.2.3.fc8....etc). The dependencies and the packages should dump the 'fc??' (and here I am referring not only to fedora but to all distros as well) and depend solely on the package version and architecture. Some may argue that this will wreak havoc with people installing such packages on non-fedora distros when installed by inexpert users. To that we need to say that even this dependency ought to be erased. Let the system updater (such as yum) take care and resolve the dependency issue. What I am driving at is that there really OUGHT to be just one LINUX and all packages out to be built for just ONE LINUX. Let the distros distinguish themselves by their logos, initial installation UI bells and whistles and the desktop backgrounds, even by unique user tools. But the rest of the open source packages from the topmost application to the kernel ought to be for just ONE LINUX! Many people using linux today have absolutely no recollection of why Microsoft eclipsed Unix. All unix vendors had their proprietary Unixes, and they were not compatible. Major customers, especially the government (where the big bucks come from) decided to dump all these non-compatible unix systems in favor of windows on every desktop and most server installations. Incompatibilty and interoperability issues went out the window (pun not intended). So, who are the big commercial Unix vendors today? Arguably Sun Microsystems' Solaris, and IBM's AIX. But we all know what has happenned to the installed base of Solaris and AIX. It has shrunk drastically and continues to do so. Ever wondered why IBM jumped on the Linux bandwagon? I think Linux is repeating the mistakes of unix, and I can see the writing on the wall. Linux will eventually kill itself and become a mere novelty for a very minority number of worlwide users. Microsoft need not complain nor worry about Linux contiuing to steal customers. Microsoft COULD encourage divergent distros of Linux just to speed up the process of creating all these incompatible distros and it will win the battle. The Borg will indeed reign supreme. Hello Linus - I hope you wake up and smell the Borg :)

Robin Laing wrote:
Mike Chalmers wrote:
I do not understand how Fedora expects you to upgrade or reinstall
every 6 months or so.

This is just not right.

Should a distro keep continuing to make you install every six months,
if so, I would rather use Microsoft. Why not provide updates, major
ones, to the already installed OS instead of having to reinstall a new
OS!!! I imagine that this, if done in an organized way, could be
easier on the developers of Fedora.

INSTEAD OF MAKING CONSUMERS INSTALL EVERY SIX MONTHS OR UNTIL THE
UPDATES STOP, JUST PROVIDE LARGE UPDATES THAT UPGRADE A SYSTEM WITHOUT
HAVING TO DO A COMPLETELY NEW INSTALL???

THEN YOU WILL HAVE A LARGER FAN BASE AND A MORE STABLE OS!!!

I have not read the whole thread yet but I don't update every six months.  My home systems were running Fedora 7 until I moved to 10. That is over a year.

I know people that are still running FC4.

There are other versions of Linux out there that offer long life just as Centos does.