Re: Never-ending boot progress

Sounds like quite a weird problem which is never a good sign... Some
slightly obvious suggestions that might help:

1. Try the "linux rescue" image from the installation CD/DVD.
(Probably called something else now involving the word "rescue".
2. Do the recommended "chroot /mnt/sysimage".
3. Check the logs - /var/log/messages is probably the only one of
relevance. That might tell you what's wrong, otherwise....
4. Try changing your default runlevel to level 3 by editing
/etc/inittab and changing

id:5initdefault:

id:3initdefault:

If things work at that level, you know it's probably some issue
related to the GUI, i.e. probably graphics drivers. You seem like you
know your stuff so apologies if I'm stating the obvious but thought
I'd put it down anyway in case it helps!

Cheers, Chris.