Re: installing perl modules on F10

2009/2/6 Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Norman Gaywood <ngaywood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> So whats the recommended way of installing perl modules in Fedora 10?
>
> This is not the "recommended" way, it's just another way.
>
> If perl is already install in your system and using cpan, then do
>        $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN'
> The Bundle::CPAN is just an example. Any module can be installed that way.
>
> You can use yumex to install CPAN.pm

A few random points that you might find interesting.

* There's no need to install CPAN.pm, as it has been included with the
standard Perl distribution since Perl 5.004.

* If you're using CPAN.pm then you might find it easier to use the
command line tool 'cpan' instead. To install Some::module, just type

  $ cpan Some::Module

* Since Perl 5.10 (i.e. the version included with Fedora 10), the
standard Perl distribution has also included CPANPLUS.pm and its
command line tool 'cpanp'. These are very much like the CPAN.pm tools
that you mention but are more flexible.

* If you are using CPAN.pm (or CPANPLUS.pm) to install modules into a
Perl installation which also includes CPAN modules which have been
installed using rpm (or yum) then you need to be very careful as it's
possible to end up with multiple versions of the same module
installed. For that reason, I strongly recommend _not_ installing
modules using CPAN.pm, but building RPMs using cpanspec and installing
those.

hth,

Dave...