Re: system time shifts after reboot

Anoop wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Whenever I reboot my Fedora 10 machine, the system time jumps to
> current time + 05:30. Looks time it is jumping by timezone offset IST
> (GMT+ 5:30). The hardware clock has the correct time after reboot
> though. I am not using the UTC clock option.
> Link '/etc/localtime' points to the correct timezone file and file
> /etc/sysconfig/clock also contains the correct timezone.
>
> Any ideas, what might have gone wrong?

What do you mean by system time?
I mean, what is displayed in GNOME/KDE applets or what you see
with "date" or what...

Check (some things, you have already done...) the output of

  date
  date -u
  hwclock
  hwclock -u

then have a look at

  /etc/localtime
  /etc/sysconfig/clock
  /etc/adjtime

check if you have a TZ variable involved with

  echo $TZ

and, are you running ntpd?

   /etc/init.d/ntpd status

if yes, what does it say when you do

  ntpq -p

These problems are often caused by something wrong in one place
and "fixing" it in the wrong one is very easy.

Please consider switching to UTC for your hardware clock. It is
better (I know, if you also boot Windows you can't).

I adventurously guess that you have a wrong timezone setting somewhere
and running ntpdate on boot.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it