Re: Ran out of disk space during yum update

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 19:21 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
In the new install I did, I was not alert and did a complete yum update, and my / partition ran out.

200 of 300+ packages were updated/installed, of course none cleaned.

Can I rescue this install by doing a yum clean all and then again do the yum update for the remaining 100+ packages?
----
I would have thought that your hard drive would fill up during download
portion of update and thus, none would have actually gotten installed.

No. The rpms were cached, but as the rpms were unpackaged and updated, the disk space went down and down and down and,,,, Well you get the picture. And cleanup only happens after all updates, so..

Yes, I would 'yum clean all' and then try to pick globs to update such
as your primary Desktop system like 'yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop
Environment)"' or 'yum groupinstall 'GNOME Desktop Environment"' and
then get the rest of the enchilada with 'yum update'

Craig