Re: Side effects of allocating more than 4 Gig FC9 64 bit

Steve West wrote, On 02/05/2009 04:53 PM:
Hello,
    I am using FC9 64 bit build. My C service allocates large amount of memory. When the service allocates about 6 or 7 Gig the command system("shutdown -r now") does not seem to work. If the service allocates around 4 gig everything works fine. Even with the system command not working the program seems to run fine. GDB does not offer any clues. Other services are able to run the system command just fine while the large service is running. Any thoughts?

Steve

and the output of free is?
have you disabled the kernels over-commit-memory capability?
did you read the following thread?
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/thread.html#01950

or seen:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/msg02866.html