Re: Wifi dies about once an hour. Bug in update ?

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 16:17 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Aside: I'd love to have a network manager like what is shipped with F10
>> > Live, but I've never been able to figure out how to get it running.  If
>> > anyone knows, I'd like to tackle that once I get wlan0 running stable.
>>

>> Unless you mock with the settings for your network... NetworkManager
>> just runs.  If you are editting connection settings by hand using the
>> legacy network configuration tool then you've probably inadvertently
>> disabled NM's ability to manage that device.  Out of the box NM should
>> require absolutely no configuration for dhcp based dynamic wireless
>> network access.  Its just a matter of selecting the wireless network
>> from NM's selection interface.
>
> Exactly which application should I run to select the wireless network to
> use ?  I've always wanted to do this in F10 and I've never been able to.
> I wouldn't be fooling around editing things in the network configuration
> tool in the first place if I had a working NM application.
>

> --

What is Network Manager?

# yum info NetworkManager
Installed Packages
Name   : NetworkManager
<snip>
NetworkManager attempts to keep an active network connection available at all
times.  It is intended only for the desktop use-case, and is not intended for
usage on servers.   The point of NetworkManager is to make networking
configuration and setup as painless and automatic as possible.  If using DHCP,
NetworkManager is _intended_ to replace default routes, obtain IP addresses
from a DHCP server, and change nameservers whenever it sees fit.

Check whether the package is  installed.
# rpm -q NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.6.4-8.el5

If not found, install it.
$ sudo yum install NetworkManager