Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Agile Aspect <agile.aspect@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
Marc Ferguson wrote:
Hi,

I know I'll probably get hazed by this already saturated question, but I
haven't found any solid answers to my issue from the archives.  I'm running
Fedora 10 x86_64 and loving the "adventure" of running an 64 bit system.
 I'm also running Firefox 3.0.x (x86_64), but I've noticed that it's not
very smooth compared to it running on a Windows machine and I'm little
confused why.

It's more the scroll bar than anything else.  It's something small, but
it's ruining the surfing experience and I'm a little embarrassed to let
other people use it on my desktop.  I don't want to give Linux a bad name
and these folks are primarily Windows/MAC users.  So; their experience with
using Firefox on my system is a tainted one.

I've tried running Swiftfox, but I haven't gotten it to load (that's
another issue) so I'm kind of stuck with Firefox.

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com <http://www.fergytech.com>
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!" -Marc F.
This is probably a different situation, but for me, I discovered just
how much browsers can be greatly slowed down if there are slow/bad
DNS server entries.  Make sure that *all* of your DNS server entries
are good in the /etc/resolv.conf file (can be set with System->
Administration->Network (DNS tab)).  The odd thing is, only the
browsers that were very slow, but everything else seemed to work
fine.  You can check FF against your local web-server just to make
sure it is not a DNS resolver issue or the Internet infrastructure.

For me, FF works well with:

Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
Kernel 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686 i686
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
CPUs: 2
2017MB RAM

... and my daughter's system, also an F9 with a different
and faster Intel Motherboard, Duo-Core, 2GB RAM

FWIW,
Dan

When I step on the DHCP generated /etc/resolv.conf from
Comast with one using my Wireless router as my primary
resolver, the performance of Firefox jumps dramatically.

Both the router and the DHCP generated /etc/resolv.conf
have the same DNS server entries.

DNS should be the first item to be checked.

My problem isn't how fast Firefox is getting the page, it's how slow
it is rendering them.
Well, what do you mean by rendering? What exactly are you 'rendering'? Running a java-based or some other application like a mandelbrot application or what? You
might let us know exactly what you are doing?

It is hard to tell with the little data you are giving as to determine if by rendering you are getting `streaming data' coming from "remote" or "local" sources and if the
data (for rendering?) coming from local/remote servers and/or services?

Just wondered,
Dan