Re: evolution email

On 02/02/09 17:44, Wayne Feick wrote:
On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 08:28 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On 02/01/2009 02:41 PM, Craig White wrote:
On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 13:13 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

That said, I've been using it for many, many years and it works fine for
me.
Ditto, but with persistent frustrations. I'm fed up to the back teeth
with it hanging forever trying to sync an IMAP mailbox, something that
happens to me several times a day.
----
I am using IMAP and I have been for many, many years and I've migrated
this particular setup from at least FC6 to now F10. I've got a LOT of
mail and a LOT of folders but I'm not having 'hanging forever trying to
sync' - It is not a problem that is endemic in Evolution.
I'm well aware of that. If it was endemic, no doubt it would be fixed by
now. However it's been happening to me for years on two different
machines connected to two different networks (to be fair, it does tend
to happen less than it used to).

I also get extreme slowness when opening very large folders, especially
on Gmail via IMAP. Evo spends a lot of time updating its state, in fact
I sometimes see two *overlapping* updates, apparently because the first
one takes so long (in fact it can sit at 0% apparently forever) that it
runs out the polling interval and starts another one. This doesn't
happen with Tbird on the same machine, network and account setup. Tbird
never takes more than a few seconds to open one of these folders.

poc

I've been having a lot of problems lately with Evolution forgetting that
I've already read messages and marking them unread again. It has also
forgetting that messages were marked as junk and making me junk them
again. Are others seeing this as well?

The read/unread thing yes, the Junk thing no. In fact I've had occasional bouts of Evo thinking a message is new and re-applying filters, resulting in multiple copies of the same message in some folder. Note that these copies are bit-for-bit identical and I'm certain the problem isn't on my IMAP server (a large Cyrus installation). This is 2.24.3 and I've mentioned it on the Evo list but no-one responded. It's hard to reproduce but has happened to me at least twice. It might be a problem with Evo caching the \Unseen flag for IMAP messages.

I have to say that Evolution has never been a very stable piece of
software in my experience, with lots of strange hangs and unexpected
behavior. Certainly the exchange connector has never been a good
experience for me.

Thank $DEITY that I don't use Exchange. Never have and hopefully never will. I do understand we can't all be so picky though.

poc