Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 15:02 -0500, Marc Ferguson wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I know I'll probably get hazed by this already saturated question, but
>> I haven't found any solid answers to my issue from the archives.  I'm
>> running Fedora 10 x86_64 and loving the "adventure" of running an 64
>> bit system.  I'm also running Firefox 3.0.x (x86_64), but I've noticed
>> that it's not very smooth compared to it running on a Windows machine
>> and I'm little confused why.
>
>        Couple things to look out for.
>
>        Plugins.  Turn off all your plugins and retest.  There are some that
> cause serious performance degradation.  Find the guilty party and decide
> if it's work it.

Also, for the original poster, you can run "firefox -safe-mode" to
start with all extensions and themes disabled.  If your problems go
away in this mode, then you know there's a problem with an extension
or theme.  (Just a shot in the dark, no idea how many extensions you
have installed.)

>> It's more the scroll bar than anything else.  It's something small,
>> but it's ruining the surfing experience and I'm a little embarrassed
>> to let other people use it on my desktop.  I don't want to give Linux
>> a bad name and these folks are primarily Windows/MAC users.  So; their
>> experience with using Firefox on my system is a tainted one.
>
>        Haven't seen that.  What distro?  What kernel?  What pages?  What
> system?

I'm currently running a 3.1 beta nightly on F10 x86_64, and it seems
fine to me, too.  Though, I think they've done a lot of work speeding
up javascript.  If you want more adventure in your life, you may want
to consider trying a nightly, or just wait for 3.1 to be released.
(The nightlies seem pretty robust.)

reid