Re: OT?: Thunderbird/Firefox - http links changed to file: links??

steve wrote:
G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
Recently Ive had a problem with thunderbird and firefox wherein an
http:://  link gets changed to a file:/// link somewhere between
clicking the link in thunderbird and the link opening in Firefox.

I'll assume you meant http:// ...

I've prowled through the advanced config controls of both apps and see
no obvious transformations.  I've disabled all extensions in Firefox
(especially NoScript) but the problem persists.  I've even uninstalled
and re-installed Firefox to see if that helps.
I'd suspect a thunderbird extension rather than a firefox one.

I've also tried disabling and re-enabling those extensions too.
About to try re-installing thunderbird.

- What does the URL show in the bottom status bar when you hover your mouse over the link ?

an http://... link as expected

- What shows up if you right click on the link, copy the link location and paste it into firefox ?

that also works as expected, so it's somewhere in the automagic processing stuff.

I just took a quick peek at thunderbird's advanced config (Edit->Preferences->Advanced->General->config editor) and found the parameter

network.protocol-handler.app.http very interesting. On my system the value is:
/usr/lib64/thunderbird-2.0.0.19/open-browser.sh

It's probably a good idea to debug what that script does to your URL.

Easy enough to read the script and see that it calls the gnome-open applet. An examination of the strings(1) content of gnome-open doesn't reveal anything that could be doing it.

Also, checking the "Preferred Applications" settings in Gnome don't show anything unexpected. (Examined both via the gui and gconf-editor.)

--
G. Wolfe Woodbury