Re: "stale NFS file handle" problem

On Thursday 29 January 2009 23:16:22 Adam Hough wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 22:36 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 January 2009 22:10:44 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Both my F10 netbook and Mandriva 2009 laptop have nfs mounts to my home
> > > directory and a data directory on my server.  A couple of hours ago I
> > > found that I could not access the home directory, although the data
> > > directory is still fine.  I was seeing messages about "stale NFS file
> > > handle".  On googling I got the impression that the problem was at the
> > > client end, but it would be really strange if both clients developed a
> > > problem at the same time.
> > >
> > > I've really no idea where to look, to troubleshoot this.  All ideas
> > > welcome.
> >
> > I wonder if there is any connection with the fact that I had to reinstall
> > CentOS on the server yesterday, as repeated power-cuts had depleted the
> > ups until the system was trashed.  Most things are up and running again,
> > but there is a problem with keychain, which I still have to resolve.  The
> > permissions on the data directory are much looser (since it is shared
> > with other users) so it could be an authentication problem.  I'll be
> > looking into the keychain issue tomorrow.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Checkout adding fsid=XXX in your NFS server's /etc/exports file to the
> exported directories.  It helps nfs clients recover from NFS servers
> dropping out on them and then coming back later.  You will need centos5
> or newer kernel/nfs software stack for this option to help though.

I've never used nfs exports until I set up this server.  I used samba in the
past, but after increasing struggles with every release I was advised to try
nfs.  Until I had these problems it has worked well - just over a year.

Where can I read about this option?  It doesn't appear to be in man:nfs.

Anne