Re: IPv6 and localhost

Allen Kistler <an037-ooai8@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> So the question really is:  Is there a reason localhost is not both
> the IPv4 loopback and the IPv6 loopback (*other* than hiding some bugs
> in some programs)?  Or should Fedora (and eventually Red Hat) change
> the default /etc/hosts shipped/created with anaconda?

One of the first things I do on an install is get rid of the lame
distribution /etc/hosts file.  I've done this since fc4 and fedora,
just like netbsd and openbsd has no need for the silly targeted
localhost names.  The other silly thing is the "localhost.localdomain"
entry coming first.  Really, what is that about???  "localhost" has
worked just fine for over 2 decades.  Software understands it.  What
advantage is there to rocking the boat?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.