Re: Screen White-out

On Thursday 29 January 2009 07:59:19 Kirk Ziegler wrote:
> Clicked on Enable Desktop Effects and my screen went white.  I can see
> the cursor.  I tried the rescue disk but it was no help.
>
> Any suggestions will be helpful.

That sounds like a plasma crash to me - possibly your video card and desktop
effect don't get on, but we can address that separately.  Meanwhile, you need
to get out of plasma and restart it.  The details are at
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/4.1#My_panel_is_gone.2C_how_do_I_get_it_back.3F

(I know it's not the panel, but the method is the same.)  Basically, you need
to run

kquitapp plasma; rm $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma

Sometimes you have to run each command separately.  Either way, a new login
will recreate the necessary files, although you will have to re-configure them
to what you want.  HTH

BTW, the later the version you have and the less likely you are to see this.
However, there is always the problem of video cards.

Anne