Re: Assistance with DHCP server setup.

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 12:04 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 16:41 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > if Dell.local is your dhcp server, don't include it in dhcp but fix
> > it's
> > ip address in setup (system-config-network).
> >
> > thus, I would remove this section...
> > host dell.local {
> >                 hardware ethernet 00:1F:1F:09:38:A2;
> >                 fixed-address 192.168.1.1;
> >         }
> >
> > lease time is really short, probably would recommend that you increase
> > to 3600
> >
> > I think you need to declare ddns-update-style which at this point,
> > might just as well be none.
> >
> > as for SELinux, I would suspect that 'restorecon /etc/dhcpd.conf'
> > should do the trick.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> 	Thanks Craig, I'll make those changes & see.  This is where I'm
> sending/receiving mail at the moment so I may be a while before
> reporting what happens.
>
> 	So I'll fix eth1's ip in setup, what about eth0 which connects to the
> DSL router?  Can I leave it set to fetch its ip from dhcp?
----
My theory is that a 'server' should have fixed ip addresses if at all
possible.

I don't see what is to be gained by having two ethernet interfaces on
the same network but I do on occasion make extra virtual ethernet
devices for things like apache myself. I am just wondering what it is
that you hope to accomplish by doing that.

Craig