Strange Mouse behaviior

I wonder is anyone else had the same experience as I had with a new
Microsoft USB mouse.

I have a laptop that double boots to Win XP and F9. I bought a new
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000. Everything was fine until I decided to use
the CD provided to install all the special effects in the XP
environment.

Now in F9 the mouse does not consistantly allow me to copy lines of text
by choosing the text with the left mouse and copying  the text using the
middle button. Instead of copying a good part of the time I get nothing
happening when I press the middle button or I get a menu I have never
seen before. A strange menu appears at other times ,for example, when I
am clicking on an icon to get a program to run (such as Firefox).

Has anyone else seen this behavior?